The Seven Stars Inn - a Kentish Wealden Hall
There has been a pub on this site since 1179, according to our sign, but we have been unable to prove this, the last surviving resident of that time having gone to his long-deserved rest. The building you can see today, the "new" building, was put up in about 1400, not long after Chaucer published the Canterbury Tales, and a few years before the English Archers destroyed the flower of the French nobility at the Battle of Agincourt. There was a major refit 400 years ago in the 16th Century and the tiles on the front were added in the 19th Century.
The building is Grade II* listed, and English Heritage has this to say: "C14 timber-framed building of Wealden type, altered in the C16 and largely refaced in the C19 with curved tiles on red brick base. Recessed centre with curved braces and large bracket supporting the eaves. On the ground floor a verandah has been built out. The first floor of the wings oversails on brackets. Hipped tiled roof. Casement windows. 2 storeys and attic. 4 windows. 3 hipped dormers. Crown-post roof inside".
Inside there is a bar, a dining room, and access to a two-level garden, with a cellar below and accommodation upstairs.Car Park at the rear, off Fair Lane.